Saturday, October 2, 2010

Self Intro

In this first post I am going to introduce myself and the concept behind this blog. In the beginning and the end of everything your intention is the most important thing. My intentions for this blog are pure and self less. I could care less if anyone comments on my posts (though feedback would be nice ☺)

I have rarely, if ever come across a blog that focuses on the Black Muslim womyn experience (someone please correct me if I am wrong!). There needs to be a suitable platform to express the perspectives of the Black Muslim womyn living in the West. I come across many blogs dedicated to women and usually they fall into two categories, makeup or fashion. I have reveled in the enjoyment of reading about the latest makeup style to hit the scene but I have been searching for something of more substance. So, instead of searching I have decided to take the initiative to start something on my own.

I was raised in a multicultural family. My mother is an African American convert and my father is East African. Spending a majority of my childhood in Europe I was exposed to many different cultures and a variety of perspectives. After relocating back to the Midwest I attended an Islamic school. Being in a predominately Arab community, where culture prevailed over religion, needless to say I felt like an outsider. I craved the diversity of my youth and despised how my religion was being defined by a group of people. I am trying to find my peace with this community, though I’m not sure if that is possible yet.

I hope you enjoy my posts to come.

Peace, Love and ever-lasting happiness to all!
BMWomyn

No comments:

Post a Comment