Monday, October 4, 2010

BC aka Big Chop

I did it. I had to hold back from crying and slap myself back into reality. It was all in my hands. I couldn’t believe that I actually had the guts to go through with it! I chopped off my hair. You might be wondering why am I making such a big deal about this, right? Oh my Allah, if you only knew! Black women and our hair, everyone knows we have issues. It’s almost as bad as South Asians and their issues with skin color.

I shouldn’t say I chopped all of it off because I have about 3.5 inches of hair. Even still, this was a big deal for me. One I have never had short hair and it was actually some what hard to chop of my locs (I refuse to call them dreads because there is nothing dreadful about them). I feel like this was a spiritual move for me as well. Why be so attatched to something that will grow back? I was just getting ridiculous with my hair and that’s why I said I needed to be slapped back into reality.

Surprisngly enough, I like my short hair. I feel light and liberated. I find myself tugging at my hair because I am still getting used to the natural coils. I want it to look a certain way under my hijab but perhaps I should allow it to do its own natural thang. It will take time for me to get used to this but I am pleased with the outcome.

A lot of people, specifically non-hijabis, have asked me who’s going to see your hair anyways? The answer always remains the same…ME! I want to take my hijab off and like what I see. Any Muslim woman would agree that we don’t want to look a hot mess under our hijabs. I take great pride in coming home and taking my hijab off and loving myself and the way I look!


Peace, Love and ever-lasting happiness to all!
BMWomyn

2 comments:

  1. i hear you sister, i too love my hair dearly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im a few months late but YOU GO GURL!!! MashaAllah! Hijab does not change (and should not) the way we view our hair. We want our hair did too! Im excited to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete