Sunday, December 26, 2010

Hijabi Evolution

I've been wearing hijab since I was 12. Seeing both my mom and other women I admired wearing it encouraged me to put it on at an early age. I have a host of kiddie pictures with me sporting a hijab and shorts. At that age you just want to be so much like your mother. Overall, it's part of my identity, it's who I am. When I think of myself I always imagine something wrapped around my head. The color or the style doesn't matter as long as I have something there. Just like our personalities, our attitudes evolve over time as well. As I've become an adult my attitude towards hijab has changed slightly as well.

Of course I wear hijab because it's mandated in Islam, but I also wear it because its what I'm used of doing. You know how some people have a set routine in the morning. Wake up. Brush teeth. Get morning newspaper. Drink coffee. You might not necessarily get the routine but you're so used of doing it that you just keep at it. In a sense hijab is like that for me. If I went a day without wearing it, it would be like missing my morning coffee (minus the caffeine headaches!). I'm a firm believe that it's human nature to find solace in patterns and routines. Most people don't particularly care for spontaneity. Without hijab I would just blend in with the masses. Hijab is what singles me out for what I want to be identified with, and for me that's Islam.

I used to do the whole under your neck safety pin thing, but I grew tired of it. I wanted to find a balance of being Muslim but at the same time expressing my African roots. With certain hijab styles I felt as though I was emulating other groups of people. I know what you're thinking, 'We're all Muslim, so whats the big deal?'. Yep, you're right we are all Muslim but we still have cultural influences that are expressed in how we dress and express ourselves. I wear a variety of styles but lately I have stuck to the hijab wrapped in a bun. I love earrings so I prefer something where I can incorporate a sense of my own personal style. I have been told that many Muslims don't consider this to be 'proper' hijab. I remember once I was in the mosque and I was about to pray and an elderly Muslim lady ran up to me and tried to put a hijab on me (mind you I was already wearing one!). I kindly said I was alright, but I was slightly offended! People tend to view Islam as a religion of strict and rigid rules, but there is so much versatility! I don't think there is one proper way to wear hijab but rather there are many interpretations depending on what region you go to. What about our West African sisters and their geles or our Iranian sisters and their chardors?

One question that often comes to mind is, I wonder how the female companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) wore hijab... Obviously, they didn't have safety pins or straight pins back in the day. I wish I had a picture. The first time I saw Tinariwen (side note: awesome band if you like world music!) the female vocal lead stuck out to me. I bet you the female companions looked liked her. Just pure elegance! Beautiful modesty!



The evolution shall continue!


Peace, Love and ever-lasting happiness to all!
BMWomyn

2 comments:

  1. This is an aspect of hijab that many muslims women fail to understand. We cannot (well should not) have to debate whether or not hijab is mandatory but we should spend more time explaining how hijab is a part of our identities. It is a reminder to the rest of the world that we are different and you cannot treat us like you treat other women on certain things. It says that we care about our modesty, we dont have a boyfriend, we dont go to the clubs, we dont eat pork, we believe in one God, etc. It says so much and it is tragic when Muslim sisters dont wear hijab or take it off. There is a disconnect somewhere. They dont understand the importance of wearing it and the struggle that comes with it. I have been wearing hijab since 2nd grade just to be like my mother. At NO POINT did I fathom taking my hijab off! That is from understanding and love for it! InshaAllah we can continue to practice our deen in peace and help uplift the rest of our Muslim sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great food for thought. As both a revert and a male I have to admit that the topic of hijab has been under my radar. In my opinion, the woman muslim voice needs to be heard when it comes to these topics. It's unfortunate that the main people that speaks about the muslim women's rights and practices are neither women, nor (in many cases not even) muslim.

    ReplyDelete